Are you facing the discord overlay not working issue while playing games?
Don’t worry! Many gamers are facing such an issue. So, today we are going to know how to fix such an error.
Discord is a communication platform created for gamers. The best feature of discord overlay is that this application lets the users do voice chats, texts, image sharing, etc. with discord friends while playing games.
However, sometimes the user becomes unable to see the discord overplay during the game. And many users face this problem. Such a problem is annoying and creates obstacles between users while gaming.
- 1 6 Simple Ways To Fix Discord Overlay Not Working Error:
- 2 Conclusion
6 Simple Ways To Fix Discord Overlay Not Working Error:
The discord overlay not working can be fixed by using the ways listed below:
1. Make Sure Discord Overlay Is Enabled
To fix this error, make sure if you enabled the discord overlay.
- Open the Discord application and click on the gear button to open up the user settings.
- Click “Overlay” from the left panel of your windows screen and confirm to turn on “Enable-in game overlay” option.
- On the left pane, choose the options “Game Activity”. Be sure to turn on the overlay for the particular game you are playing. If the overlay is turned off then click on the monitor button right next to the game.
- If the games are not added in the list then you can add the games in the list. Click on the option Add it!
- Before trying any other fixes, make sure to turn on “Enable in-game overlay” for the games newly added to the list.
2. Run Discord As An Administrator
Sometimes discord overlay doesn’t work properly until you run it as an administrator. To see if this problem resolves or not, run your discord as an administrator.
To run discord as an administrator steps are given below:
- Right-click on the discord installation shortcut on your Windows 10 and then choose Properties.
- Click on the “Compatibility tab” in the pop-up window and check the box “Run it as an administrator”.
- Click on the Apply to save the settings.
- Hit the OK button and Close the pop-up window.
- Reopen the window and run the discord as an administrator to make sure if the issue persists.
3. Restart Your Computer & Run Discord
To fix this issue, restart your computer and run the Discord application. Doing so can help you to overcome such an issue that prevents the discord overlay not working while gaming. You can go for this method to fix this glitch because this method is quite effective.
4. Disable Hardware Acceleration In Discord
Discord has a Hardware acceleration feature that allows the use of GPU and sound cards to run Discord with efficiency.
Nevertheless, many users have reported that sometimes discord overlay not working properly due to the hardware acceleration feature.
If you have enabled the hardware acceleration feature in discord then there is a chance to face such a glitch. This issue can be fixed by disabling the hardware acceleration feature.
So, follow the steps below to disable the hardware acceleration feature:
- Open up the Discord application and click on the User Settings.
- Click on the option “Appearance” from the left pane.
- On the right panel, under Advanced menu toggle off hardware acceleration if you turned it on earlier.
- Restart your game to check if the discord application works properly on your Windows PC.
5. Exclude Discord From Your Anti-Virus
If you are facing the Discord overlay not working issue then this may happen due to the third-party antivirus software. If you use Firewall defender on the third-party antivirus software then there is a possibility to face several issues on your Windows PC such as this error may blocks background running discord programs or may stop system resources.
Therefore, add the discord to the whitelist of the third-party antivirus application.
To do so, follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Press Window Key + R to open the Run window and type “Control Panel” inside it and then hit Enter.
- Click the option “View by:” and then choose “Large Icon”.
- Now select the option “Windows Defender Firewall”.
- On the left panel of your screen, choose the “Allow an app or feature through Firewall” and then press the option “Change Settings”.
- Click on the Save to apply these changes and Close the window.
- Now go to the settings and click the option “Update and Security”.
- On the left panel, select “Window Security” and then click the option “Virus and Threat Protection” from the right pane.
- Choose Manage Settings option.
- Scroll down your slide and click the “Add or Remove Exclusion”.
- Now you will get an option “Add Exclusion” where you have to select “Folder” from the list.
- Save your settings and Close the window.
- Restart your computer to check whether the glitch is fixed or not.
6. Reinstall Discord
If the error still exists after applying these above-mentioned methods then reinstall your discord application.
To do that, here are the following steps:
- Open the Run window and go to “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “View by:” option and choose “Categories” from the drop-down list where you have to select the “Uninstall a Program” option.
- A new window will be open up on the screen where you have to Double Click on discord from the program lists to uninstall your Discord application.
- Once the installation is done, Reboot your Windows PC.
- Then, download the latest version of Discord application from the official website to install it on your Windows PC.
- After completing the process, check whether the error is fixed or not.
Discord is one of the best applications known for its voice chats, texts features in real-time especially designed for gamers.
In this article, we have shared 6 ways to fix the discord overlay not working error. Hope these steps worked to fix such an error.
Don’t forget to share your experience with us. Also, let us know which method helped you out to fix the issue.