Android is one of the most popular mobile OS, used by around 88% of the world population. Without Android-designed applications, android devices are pretty useless. Play store provides around 2.6 million applications for our android devices, making our day to day tasks easier to handle.
Play store apps are mostly free and need only downloading and installation. But some users experience an error while installation saying “App Not Installed” which prevents installation of the application.
It is an unknown error code and happens almost all the time, it usually pops up when you try downloading an app with a .apk file extension from places other than the play store.
It is neither a hardware nor a software issue, it is the handling of your device that leads you to errors like these.
To know the cause of the error and to fix it, read on, you will surely understand the problem and ways to fix it.
- 1 What Causes The ‘App Not Installed’ Error?
- 2 Fix ‘App Not Installed’ Error Using These Methods
- 3 Conclusion
What Causes The ‘App Not Installed’ Error?
- Insufficient Storage: Check your device if you have unnecessary cache files, Photos, videos, apps(residual files), music, messages, contacts, etc. in the internal memory of your device, which is causing inadequate space for the incoming application and thus the app not installed error.
- Contaminated/Corrupted File: Check the source from where you have downloaded the app. If it is not a play store of your android device, chances are the app files are corrupted and contain malware. Hence the error. So be doubly sure before you download the app from a site to check the extension name and do not install contained files.
- SD Card Not Mounted In The Device: If you are trying to download an app in your device’s SD Card and have kept your device connected to a PC or other electronic device, chances are, the newly downloaded app couldn’t locate the device’s SD Card and thus shows the app not installed error message.
- Storage Location: Error Code also shows when you have not assigned a location (i.e. Internal or SD Card) for incoming files and applications. It is certainly the best when apps are stored in the device’s internal memory other than SD Card.
- Corrupt Storage: Sometimes the SD Cards are also corrupted which causes the app not installed in error. Even the internal storage gets affected by the accumulation of unnecessary and unwanted data that corrupts the storage space. Try cleaning your device from the cache and residual file as it can put your device to slow down and eventually retard.
- Application Permission: Software developers put a long list of application permission, it can also cause the app not installed in error.
- Incorrect File: If you have already downloaded an app and are trying another variant of it with a distinct signed or unsigned certificate, the unknown error code pops up saying the “app not installed”.
These are the listed problems that can be the cause of the unknown error code that is preventing the installation. You can actually prevent such errors by yourself just by auditing your device of the above-listed causes.
Fix ‘App Not Installed’ Error Using These Methods
If you are still confused and not finding a way to fix the problem, just read on. I will guide you step by step in solving the error.
1. Change App Codes
Step 1. Open the Google PlayStore on your device and search for “APK Editor Pro”.
Step 2. Download and install this app.
Step 3. Open the app and select the “APK from the app” or “select an apk file” option depending on the application that you want to edit.
Step 4. Select your desired app and press on the option of “Common Edit”.
Step 5. Change the location of installed apps to “Internal only” according to your requirement.
You can change the app version code too by using APK editor pro, but it is not free, you’ll need to pay for this.
Step 6. After the changes don’t forget to save changes by clicking on the save button. And install the modified version of the application.
Step 7. Delete other files before downloading the modified version.
2. Disable Google Play Protect
Google play store automatically detects the app you are downloading and it is not available on the play store, it won’t allow you to install the app. And thus error shows up. You can only install the app by disabling Google play protect.
Step 1. Open Playstore on your device.
Step 2. Click on the menu icon on the top left corner.
Step 3. Go to the “Play Protect” Option and open it.
Step 4. Click on the “setting icon” on the top right corner.
Step 5. Disable Scan Device for security threats” by tapping the toggle button.
Step 6. Now you can install the application without any interruption. Don’t forget to turn it on after the installation as it can harm your device in the future.
3. Turn On Airplane Mode
Yes, simply turning on Airplane mode can also work. As it suspends all the transmission signals and thus prevents interruption.
Step 1. Scroll down the status bar of the phone
Step 2. Select ‘Airplane Mode’ and turn it on.
Step 3. Now install the application.
Step 4. A notification might appear saying “Blocked by Play Protect”.
Step 5. Click on “Expand Details” by the drop-down icon. Press on the” install anyway” option.
4. Reset All App Preferences
Step 1. Go to Settings on your device.
Step 2. Open “Apps & notifications” and switch to the “all apps” tab.
Step 3. Click on the three dots in the upper right corner. Then click on “Reset App Preferences”.
Step 4. A dialogue box will open up and click on “Reset Apps”.
Step 5. Try to install the app and this time there will be no error.
5. Allow Apps From Unknown Sources
Installation from unknown sources is blocked on devices by default. It is mainly to protect you from unwanted malware that can come with files downloaded from unknown sources.
While Installing from other sources other than the play store make sure to turn on “Unknown source installation”. then only your installation will be successful otherwise, it will show the error code.
Step 1. Open Settings on your Android device and tap on the Security option.
Step 2. Navigate to unknown sources and turn it on.
Step 3. Now you can easily install your concerned app without any error.
For some versions, there isn’t any direct method to enable unknown source installation. But if you are using chrome for downloading follow the steps below:
Step 4. After the file is downloaded when you click on the file for installation it will show a pop-up saying, installation from the unknown app is not allowed. Head over setting option in it.
Step 5. Another dialogue box will open up just turn on the “ allow from this source”. Your app will be installed without any error.
6. Use Older Version Of The App
Sometimes the latest version of a certain app doesn’t support your device due to some limitations. Go for downloading the older version of the app, it will not create any error as it was showing earlier for the new version.
7. Avoid Installation From SD Card
If you have downloaded an apk file and you are trying to install it from an external mount, it causes errors due to contamination of files. As the installer is not able to parse the package from mounted storage.
Try downloading the apk in your internal storage as your mobile package installer will accept the file without any error.
If you are still facing the “app not installed” problem then there are chances that the application you want to download is loaded with corrupted files so try other sources. Also, you can try for an updated version of the app as the older version may have not been compatible with your device.
And go for “Reset” and “Delete All Data” from your phone this way you can get rid of unwanted files in one go.
Try all the solutions I have given, you will surely solve the issue of “App Not Installed”. Don’t forget to comment on how you solved your issue.