We all know how Android has evolved over the years and is the most popular operating system defeating almost all other operating systems like BlackBerry, Palm OS, Windows Phone, etc. Right now there’s only one tough competitor, Apple’s iOS.
People prefer Android as it offers flexibility, customization, and a certain level of control though there are things that people may not like to use, such as the default browser that comes pre-installed and its homepage.
Now that you’re here, I guess you want to customize your default browser’s homepage and may have heard or read this ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ syntax somewhere or simply want to learn about it.
In this article, you’ll learn what ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ means and how it can help configure your default homepage.
What Is ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’?
We all know android phones come with a default web browser and homepage most of the time. Though many users like customizing options and the default one you have may not please you much.
Call it syntax, code, or a command line. The ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ basically is the home page of your browser.
And this syntax helps you in customizing your homepage and works with default web browsers. It’s compatible with all browsers as the particular browser is set as default.
All browsers utilize their homepage and link/syntax ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ will let you make changes to the browser’s settings and change the default homepage.
Yes, it’s not necessary to change and completely depends on your personal preference.
How To Change The Default Homepage In Chrome On Android
Typically, in Google Chrome, the default homepage is a new tab with a search bar and a few suggested “articles for you” links. This doesn’t look very productive sometimes.
Therefore you can change the default homepage ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ in chrome by following the steps below.
- As one may presume, first launch the chrome android app
- Click on the (3dots) menu for settings.
- Now select settings from the options given and find the homepage.
- Tap on the homepage tab and then choose the open this page option.
- Now simply enter the URL that you want to set as your homepage.
- Click on the back button to save changes and go back to the home screen on Chrome.
- You’re done here. However, now tap on the home icon and check if the URL you entered is loading.
- Make sure you enable the homepage icon, if not you may not see the homepage option.
Follow the given steps below to enable the homepage.
- Type Chrome://flags/ in the browser settings
- look for the enable homepage button and simply enable it.
- Now you will find the homepage as you have enabled it and then proceed with the steps above to change the default homepage.
One can also switch back to the original URL tab by setting the chrome://new tab within the URL field.
- Open your Mozilla Firefox browser and tap on the menu i.e 3 dots and select settings.
- Then go to the general option and click on home and select the option custom to change your homepage.
An opera user? You can follow these simple steps and configure your homepage.
- Open your opera mini or opera browser.
- At the bottom, you will find the opera icon, tap it to open the opera’s settings.
- Open settings and in the homepage disable News option.
- Along with news also disable your recent searches, opera notifications.
- Now get back to the opera homepage and delete all Speed Dials sites.
- Then click/tap on the + icon and enter the URL you want as your homepage.
- Now save these changes.
This is quite a helpful feature if you have a specific URL that you browse day-to-day or set your blog’s or company’s website address and even a personalized search engine.
How To Remove ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ From Chrome
We now know what is ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ and how we can change the homepage on our default browser. But what if you don’t like it at all and wanna improve your experience for which you may want to remove this ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ page. This too isn’t a big deal, just follow the steps and you will be done within a few minutes.
- Open the default browser you are using currently
- Now go to the menu of the browser and tap on general settings and click on homepage.
- Then enter the homepage URL or search engine you wish to add to your default homepage.
- Finally, click on the Save button.
How To Set A Default Browser In Android
It is important to know if you want to change the appearance of your default web browser, this link will help you change or set the homepage in a web browser. But you must know that the browser you wish for should be your default browser, if not an error will be displayed “err_file_not_found” and sometimes it also shows error 404 not found.
However, don’t get perplexed. It’s easy enough and straightforward how to set a new default web browser on your Android smartphone.
All you have to do is follow the steps below.
- Open Settings in your Android phone and tap on apps/ app manager.
- Now tap on the three dots (menu) which are usually on the upper right corner of the screen.
- A drop-down is visible where you have to select default apps.
- Now tap on the browser app.
- Now on the browser app page, tap on the browser which you want to set as your default one.
It’s that easy!
Make sure you choose a good browser to safeguard all your data. I don’t know if there’s a need to mention chrome as most of them use it, however, using more than one is preferable and I would recommend Firefox or Brave or even Microsoft Edge.
Browsers are way more important these days in all our lives and a customized homepage can enhance your browsing experience to another level.
In case you were one of those who wanted to customize the default browser’s homepage then this article should have helped you in doing so.
We have written all the relevant information like what is ‘content://com.android.browser.home/’ syntax and how can you change your homepage using it.
Hope you liked the article and if you have any doubts or questions regarding this then do ask them in the comment section and we will do our best to help you out with it.